Peckham Rye Common, which covers 64 acres, has a long and interesting history, having been mentioned in the Domesday Book (of 1087) and in surviving 14th century documents.
The name Peckham probably originates from ‘village among the hills’ referring to the nearby hills of Honor Oak, Forest Hill and Telegraph Hill.
The Park occupies the 49 acres of land south of the Common that surrounded Homestall Farm, which was purchased by the Vestry and London County Council in 1868 for £51,000. A few other small parcels of land were later incorporated into the Park when the leases of Homestall Farm and other properties expired.
It was on the Common in 1767 when William Blake had the vision of angels.